The history of two Providence County towns (townships) -- Cumberland and Woonsocket -- are recalled through a mixture of colorful tales and factual data in this 63 page illustrated spiral-bound booklet, reprinted from two hard-to-find books: History of the State of Rhode Island published in 1878 by Hoag, Wade and Co., Philadelphia, and Rhode Island, a Guide to the Smallest State, a WPA project published in 1937. The booklet measures 11" x 8 1/2" and is printed one-sided on 60# paper. A clear vinyl sheet has been added to protect cover, which is printed in copper, dark blue and black on Natural Skytone Parchtone stock. CUMBERLAND includes the past and/or present communities of: Ashton, Berkeley, Central Falls, Cumberland (formerly Attleborough Gore), Cumberland Hill, Diamond Hill, Diamond Hill Village, East Cumberland (Arnold's Mills), Grant's Mill, Happy Hollow, Hawkins, Lonsdale, Manville, and Valley Falls. WOONSOCKET includes the past and/or present communities of: Bernon, Cook's Hill, Globe, Lime Rock, Sayles Hill, Smithfield, Union Village, Valley of Mosshassuck, and Woonsocket. The 1878 book excerpts cover the early development of this area, while passages from the WPA book, give a nostalgic glimpse from a later vantage point, including interesting historical notes, especially as they relate to sightseeing possibilities. Among the many and diverse subjects taken from these books are: Physical features and geological traits; William Blackstone (a bull rider?), Richard Arnold,Samuel Comstock, and other Early Settlers; Population Origins; First Town officials and early official rulings; the remarkable Wilkinson family: Jeremiah -- inventor and silversmith; Jeptha -- original inventor of the Colt Revolver and the rotary cylindrical printing press; Jemina -- an artful religious fraud, Simon -- astronomer and peacemaker, and James -- designer; Aaron White, who 'played hard to get'; Dr. Belchor and other physicians; the duel at Duel Hollow; Auctioning off the poor; Murder at Camp Swamp by Indians; Early Mills and Manufacturers; How Happy Hollow Got its Name; Mines and Quarries; Secret Societies; Education; the Ballou Meeting House. the Cistercian Monastery, and other Religious Sites and Organizations; Stage Routes and Stages; Early Taverns and Hotels; Banks of Woonsocket Banks, Press, Library, Fire and Police Departments; and other interesting bits of history and trivia. There's also an early map of the state, a population table, and a tour of Woonsocket points of interest. The booklet contains some very nice sketches of early homes and other structures in the area: two homes of George W. Miller and the Dr. Seth Arnold Medical Corportation in Woonsocket; Mrs. Joseph Wood, Mrs. B.A. Benedict and R. J. Stafford homes in Central Falls; and St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Cumberland. There are also photos of the Friends Meeting House and the Willing Vose House in Woonsocket.
Cumberland and Woonsocket, RI
Sources: History of the State of Rhode Island / History of Cumberland and Woonsocket
Authors: John Warner Barber
Original Publication Year: 1878
Original Publisher: Hoag, Wade and Co.
See Description for more info.