The early days of Saint Lawrence County in the State of New York, and its various towns and townships, are recalled through a mixture of colorful tales and factual data in this NEW 18 Page Booklet, reprinted primarily from two hard-to-find books: the 1841 edition of Historical Collections of the State of New York by John Warner Barber and Henry Howe, and New York, a Guide to the Empire State, a WPA project. The spiral-bound booklet is printed one-sided on 60# paper, with the print enlarged for easier reading. A clear vinyl sheet has been added to protect the front cover. The communities mentioned include:Brasher, Canton, Churchville, Columbiaville, DeKalb, Richville, DePeyster Edwards, Edwardsville, Fowler, Gouverneur, Hammond, Hannawa Falls, Hermon, Hopkinton, Lawrence, Lawrenceville, Lisbon, Louisville, Madrid, Matildaville, Massena, Morristown, Nicholville, Norfolk, Oswegatchie, Ogdensburg, Parishville, Pierrepoint, Pitcairn, Port Jackson, Potsdam, Rensselaerburg, Rossie, Russell, Stockholm, and Waddington. Among the many and diverse topics in the booklet are: Indian encounters; Gallantry during Military Action; Capture of Ogdensburg; an Exchange of Victory Salutes; the Battle of Prescott near Windmill Point; the Potsdam State Normal School; Thomas S. Clarkson Memorial College of Technology; St. Lawrence University; a Ghost Story; a Tale of Lost Treasure; Aluminum and Milk; and a Girl Won in a Poker Game. Names mentioned include: Stillman Foot, George Foot, Amos Jones, Medad Moody, Judge Cooper, Capt. Washburn, I. Waddington, D.A. Ogden, T.L. Ogden, Judge Nathan Ford, Thomas Lee, Capt. Forsyth, Gen. Brown, Gen. Benedict, Col. McFeely, Col. Van Schoultz, Solomon Foster, Col. Dorephus Abbey, Martin Woodruff, Daniel George, John Parker, Watson, David Parish, Benjamin Raymond, James Chadwick, William Bullard, Irving Bacheller, Frederic Remington, Gouverneur Morris, Anable Fancher and Henry Warren. ILLUSTRATIONS depict Windmill Point at Prescott, and views of Ogdensburg, Potsdam and Canton. The Howe/Barber history covers the development of this area until about 1841, while excerpts from the WPA book, give a nostalgic glympse from a 1940 vantage point, including interesting historical notes, especially as they relate to sightseeing possibilities. There's also a small map of the area from a 1948 booklet printed by the New York Telephone Company.