The early days of Orleans County and Genesee County and their various towns and townships, are recalled through a mixture of colorful tales and factual data in this NEW 19 Page Booklet, reprinted primarily from two hard-to-find books: the 1841 edition of Historical Collections of the State of New York by John Warner Barber and Henry Howe, and New York, a Guide to the Empire State, a WPA project. The spiral-bound booklet is printed one-sided on 60# paper, with the print enlarged for easier reading. A clear vinyl sheet has been added to protect the front cover. The communities mentioned include: Alabama, Albion, Alexander, Barre, Batavia, Bergen, Bethany, Byron, Carlton, Childs, Clarendon, Darien, Eagle Harbor, Elba, Endicott’s Mills, Fairhaven, Gaines, Gaines Basin, Kendall, Knowlesville, LeRoy, Lindon, Medina, Millville, Murray, North Murray, Oak Orchard, Pavilion, Pembroke, Ridgeway, Ridgeway Corners, Shelby, Shelby’s Basin, Sandy Creek, Scio, Stafford, Yates, and Yates Centre. Among the varied topics in the booklet: Prices of articles and rates of wages in 1804; Land purchases through the Holland Land Co.; Abduction and possible murder of William Morgan in 1826 in connection with Masonic Lodge Secrets; the National Christian Association Opposed to All Secret Societies; an Early Traveler's view of Pembroke Township; Stringless Beans, Jello, Breaking Egg-laying Records; "almost" clean Hotel Sheets; how Albion boosters secured the county seat of Orleans County and how Batavia almost ended up "Bustia." Names mentioned include: Robert Munroe, Oliver Phelps, Nathaniel Gorham, Robert Morris, Sir William Pultney, William Willink, D.C. Miller, William Morgan, Jacob Le Roy, Dr. Dwight, Elisha Johnson, Nicholas B. Keeney, Calvin Keeney, Egbert Benson, Daniel Webster, Caroline Le Roy, Joseph Ellicott, Paul Busti, James Brisbane, Arthur Brisband, Stephen Russell, Thomas Wiard, Dean Richard, Trumbull Cary, George M. Pullman. ILLUSTRATIONS depict Public Buildings in Albion; the Central part of Batavia; the Holland Land Company office; and a view of Le Roy Village. The Howe/Barber history covers the development of this area until about 1841, while excerpts from the WPA book, give a nostalgic glympse from a 1940 vantage point, including interesting historical notes, especially as they relate to sightseeing possibilities. There's also a small map of the area from a 1948 booklet printed by the New York Telephone Company.