The early days of Dutchess County and its various towns and townships, are recalled through a mixture of colorful tales and factual data in this NEW 38 Page Booklet, reprinted primarily from two hard-to-find books: the 1841 edition of Historical Collections of the State of New York by John Warner Barber and Henry Howe, and New York, a Guide to the Empire State, a WPA project. The spiral-bound booklet is printed one-sided on 60# paper, with the print enlarged for easier reading. A clear plastic sheet has been added to protect the front cover. The communities mentioned include: Amenia, Arlington, Attlebury, Bangall, Beacon, Beekman, Cackemeyer's Mills, Carthage, Clinton, Dover, East Park, Federal Store, Fishkill, Franklinville, Gayhead, Glenham, Hammertown, Hartsville, Hopewell, Hughsonville, Hull's Mills Hyde Park, Johnsonville, Lafayette Corners, LaGrange, Mechanicsville, Milan, Millbrook, Millerton, New Hackensack, North East, Pawling, Peckville, Pine Plains, Pleasant Plains, Pleasant Valley, Poughquake, Poughkeepsie, Pulver's Corners, Red Hook, Rhinebeck, Rock City, Rocky Glen, Salt Point, Schultz Corners, Separate, Shenandoah, Shookville, Spencer's Corners, Stanford, Stewart's Corners, Stormville, Union Vale, Upper Landing, Wappingers Falls, Washington Hollow, and Wassaic. Among the many and diverse topics in the booklet are: the Stone Church at Dover, Human Bones found on the Sprout Creek; the Revolutionary Soldiers Barracks and Graveyard; Wharton House, scene of J. Fennimore Cooper novel; Newspaper items; Tombstone Inscriptions; the First Home in Poughkeepsie; Theft of a Silver Spoon; the Rev. Freeborn Garrettson, itinerant preacher; the Nine Partners School; early Dutch homes; a Tom Quick story; Old Drovers Inn; Early Schools and Churches; the Franklin Rossevelt Library, and Vassar College and other Points of Interest in Poughkeepsie. The booklet has no index, but some of the names mentioned are: Richard Sackett, Winegar, Isaac Van Wyck, Nicholas Van Vrancken, Depeyster, Brinkerhoff, Thomas, Mary Ferrari, Lt. Col. Barber, Van Kleek, Bartlett, Sanders, Griggs, Beekman, Garrettson, Livingston, Jacob Willetts (author of "Thirty days hath September"), Sarah Newcomb (house builder), Col, Platt, Modjeski, Moran, Mumford, Spingarn, Borden, Baxter, Whitman, Wing, Admiral John Worden, Lowell Thomas, Albert Akin, Redder, Livingston, Thompson, Traphagen, Kip, Brown, Astor, Morton, Hunt, Lewis, Mills, James Paulding (author of "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers"), McVickar, Dr. Bard, Dr. Hosack, Stoutenburgh, Rombout, Brett, Fort, Kent, Engelbert Huff, Looudon, Dudley, Brinkerhoff, Van Wyck, Berge, and Matthew Vassar. ILLUSTRATIONS depict the Dover Stone Church; Factory Buildings in Matteawan, Fishkill; the Old Dutch Stone Church, Fishkill; the Van Kleek House, Poughkeepsie Collegiate School; the Methodist Church and Academy at Rhinebeck; and a full page view of Poughkeepsie. The Howe/Barber history covers the development of this area until about 1841, while excerpts from the WPA book, give a nostalgic glympse from a 1940 vantage point, including interesting historical notes, especially as they relate to sightseeing possibilities. There's also a small map of the area from a 1948 booklet printed by the New York Telephone Company.